Recreational Gymnastics Programs
- We have a dressing room or a cubby area in the gym, to put your belongings into; shoes, coat, backpack etc.
- Have your gymnast ready in their leotard and hair pulled up and away from the face.
- All students sit at the edge of our floor and cubby area for the teacher to begin the class.
- All Recreational students Warm-up together on the Main Floor. (The Mini-movers ages 2-5 warm-up on the Rec. Floor nearest cubbies). It typically lasts for 10 minutes.
- Warm-ups begin with cardio movements such as jogging, jumping hopping and galloping. When finished with the cardio all students spread out on the Main Floor and stretch out their major muscle groups with their Teacher.
- The gymnasts will receive 15 minutes on 3 different events. Students line up behind their teacher to proceed to their 1st event. The students will be introduced to the apparatus; uneven bars, balance beam, floor exercise, vault, single tramp, tumble tramp and our pits. Basics gymnastics skills are taught first including 2 major components of it, strength and flexibility. Learning body control and body awareness is essential in being able to move through our levels and into our Advanced classes.
- When class is over the Teacher will lead the group over to the cubby area for release. We do not allow parents onto the gym floor; we have a large viewing area upstairs for you to watch from.
- As with all sports the more often one practices or attends the quicker for advancement. You are always welcome to enroll into more than 1-time a week.
Metro’s Recreational Gymnastics Program is offered for children ages 6 – 18 years old. Through Metro’s Safe, Fun and Progressive gymnastics classes, gymnasts develop and continually improve their strength, flexibility, balance, coordination, and self-esteem.
Gymnastics instruction is provided by our trained teaching staff and focuses on teaching the basic body positions and foundation skills of the beginning levels, to the “flipping and twisting” skills of the advanced levels. Metro provides an exciting non-competitive gymnastics experience for your child.
Gymnasts are taught with the use of skill progressions appropriate to each child's ability level. Our Recreational gymnasts take anywhere from one to three classes per week. Metro also offers Home-School gymnastics classes.
Contact Lynn McCaffrey, Recreational Gymnastics Director for more information.
First of all, thank you for letting our Metro staff be a part of your child's life. Our First Aid and CPR certified staff will keep your child safe, happy, and healthy.
We offer classes for the very beginner (never had gymnastics) through our advanced levels. Once your child is proficient in a level gymnasts are able to move into the next level; the teacher will notify you.
Metro is now offering an exciting new program for our Recreational Students called Xcel. This new class are for those students that want to do a few gymnastics competitions per year, without a commitment and stress of being on a competitive team. Pick up a flyer in our gym today or read about Xcel under the Classes tab above.
No sure what level your child would fit into? Please call or email me so we can schedule an evaluation for proper placement.
Lynnm@metrogymnastics.com or 503-620-8939. I am here Monday thru Fridays.
Beginner 1 & 2 : Intermediate 3 & 4 : Advanced 5 & 6
The girls receive instruction in all of the Women’s Olympic events: Balance Beam, Uneven Bars, Vault, and Floor Exercise. Tumble-Trac and Trampolines are also used as well as our 6 foot deep Foam Pit.
Beginner 1 & 2 : Intermediate 3 & 4 : Advanced 5 & 6
The Boy’s receive instruction on all of the Men’s Olympic Events: Rings, High Bar, Floor Exercise, Vault, Parallel Bars and Pommel Horse. Tumble-trac and trampoline are also used as well as our two foam pits.
This program is designed for all ability levels and for those that want to increase their strength, flexibility and skill levels on all the apparatus listed above.
The Xcel program is designed to offer a broad range of skill levels with an affordable competitive experience outside the restriction and commitment of our girl’s competitive team program. Metro’s Xcel program gives our Recreational girl students a chance to participate in organized gymnastics competitions from January to April of each year.
Each gymnast with the help of their coach, designs gymnastics routine for the bars, beam, floor and vault, specifically at their skill level. Gymnasts between the ages of 6-17 and is a level 3 Rec gymnast or higher can participate in this new and exciting program at Metro.
Xcel classes are 2-hours in length. Student’s have the option of coming 1 or 2 days a week.
As with any organized activity there are additional costs beyond class tuition, as follows:
Enrolling in a yearly United States Gymnastics membership
Purchase of a Team-leotard/uniform (aprox. $70)
Payment of entry fee per competition (aprox. $35 per meet)
Payment of member/competitive fee (aprox. $175 per year)
Families may choose which competition to compete in 1 to 4 meets per year.
TNT - Co-ed
Bounce and Tumble your way to better overall coordination, endurance, and body awareness through Floor Exercise and Trampolines. Metro currently has a 7’ x 14’ rectangle trampoline bed and a 30 foot long Tumble-Trac. We also have a variety of Mini-tramps and use our in-ground Pit for tumbling practice regularly. Strength and flexibility activities are included to improve basics and develop more advanced tumbling. This class can be taken on its own or in addition to another Recreational class. Gymnasts are taught at their own ability level and advance at their own rates.
Boys & Girls
Upon the recommendation of the Recreational Director, a gymnast may be offered the opportunity to participate in an Invitation Class. Assessment is based on the gymnast’s strength, flexibility, skill level, and desire. Invitation classes usually require the gymnast to attend twice a week for one to two hours each class. Twisters and Trainers classes are for gymnasts who want to pursue competitive gymnastics in one of Metro's Team programs. Requirements for these classes are two (2) days per week and year-round enrollment.
- In order to protect the current students' class experience, we do not allow any free trial class. Instead we have you register and pay for just 1 class, and if the first class isn't what you expected, we will drop you from the class.
- You are also more than welcome to come in and observe classes from our upstairs viewing area anytime. This gives you an opportunity to see the facility and watch a class in action to determine if it looks like a good fit for your child
- Notify the office when you are unable to attend your regular class.
- Two makeups are allowed per session. Call the office to schedule your make-up.
- No refunds are given for missed classes.
- Girls can wear a leotard, and/or shorts and a t-shirt tucked in. Footless tights are permitted.
- Boys can wear shorts/sweats with a t-shirt tucked in.
- Hair must be secured away from the face with binders and clips.
- Students are not allowed to wear jewelry, jeans, dresses or chew gum.
- Parents should always wait until the teacher begins class. As long as we have a phone number to get a hold of you, you are welcome to run errands and return before you child's class is over.
- All parents and family members observe our classes from our upstairs viewing area.
- Have your child put there things into a cubby, shoes and socks off, and sit on the edge of the floor mat next to the cubbies and wait for the teacher to begin class.
- Children are not allowed onto the equipment or gym floor until the teacher begins class. No tumbling or horseplay while waiting.
- Students for all ages must wait inside the building until their ride arrives. Students should be picked up promptly following class.
- Students should report any accident or injury to the instructor.
- Please keep sick children home and/or waiting siblings.
Metro offers early afternoon home school classes specific to home school families.All home school families are also welcome to enroll into our other classes.
We would love to set-up group instruction for your special needs child. This could include field trips or weekly classes.
Plan your field trip to Metro Gymnastics Center: Birthday Parties, going away parties, Girl and Boy Scout Groups, play day trips, preschool outings. Groups of 7 or more please.